As travel obsessed as we are, we’re just as obsessed with our health and fitness. Many people struggle to fit exercise and healthy food into their travels, but like anything, if you make it a priority you will make it happen. Health and Travel DO go hand in hand!
It’s obviously not going to be easy to find a local gym on every trip, and if you could have a gym while you were traveling, we get it, you don’t really wanna spend your day trapped in a gym. So, we are constantly trying to add activity and exercise into our travels and incorporate it into a way of exploring and we’ve found its a lot easier than people think. Here are our fit tips to remaining active on your vacation, while exploring at the same time:
- Make Your Health a Priority: You have to want to be active. Making smart choices on where to eat and what to eat will be a big factor. We LOVE indulging in the local food specialties, but try to limit myself from over indulging. Additionally, we love drinking beer and checking out the local party scene, but try not to do it every night. And hey sometimes we just completely overindulge ourselves and have no regrets because we’re finding ways to keep ourselves active.
- Always take the stairs: You’re going to have many opportunities to say NO to stairs. We suggest you ALWAYS say YES! Aside from your legs looking amazing, the stairs will always give you a better sense of accomplishment than taking a tram or elevator. Some views you won’t get the option and if you don’t take the stairs, you won’t get to the top.
- Exploring is Exercise: There are a lot of ways to get around a new place, but none are more rewarding and less expensive than your own two feet! Grab a map and go. Or don’t grab a map and let yourself get lost in a new place. You’re burning calories and becoming a more cultured person.
- Say YES to New Opportunities: Being a tourist is so great because you can do the goofiest things and people just look at you and go, “…tourists”. Let your inhibitions go and try all the wacky things you’re offered. A lot of them will be activities that will keep you fit. Its also great to try the local sport, especially if you’ve never done it. Check out local yoga or exercise classes, find the craziest hikes, just do it all!
- Jogging is a Great Way to Explore: Jenny has gotten over the idea of being cute and fashionable on vacation. Most of the time she live in my gym clothes to ensure that she’s comfortable and up for anything that comes my way. And ladies, I totally understand wanting to be adorable and look good while you’re traveling; but too many times I’ve been wandering around in my cute chic dress and realized that I’m missing an opportunity to kayak, or hike a mountain or climb a tree. So now, unless if we’re going to a nice dinner or there is no sight of adventure in my view, Jenny likes to rock her nike and lululemon. She look pretty awesome in that anyway 😉
- Climbing is Worth the View: We love to ask the locals if there are any hikes or mountains we should explore. The view at the top is always worth the climb.
- Go on a Bike Tour: We love renting bikes! We go on tours when we think we need a guide (which is almost never because we’re stubborn and like to beat to our own drum). Tours can be fun, but we’d recommend just renting bikes for the day and letting yourself get lost. Bikes give you the freedom to explore a little faster and with slightly less energy than jogging. Also you can carry things in your cute little baskets. Most cities we’ve been to have had bikes available for rent and a day of biking will be sure to earn you a massage.
- Remember to enjoy a few beers: my phone and camera are filled with beer / cocktails drinking photos… so don’t get me wrong when we tell you to go on a fit-travels. When you’re done with your health food and bike tour celebrate with a glass of champagne or a stiff tropical cocktail. You deserve it!